1) “Schools Out” by Alice Cooper – No better anthem for a kid than this rock classic; it still holds up today!
2) “California Girls” by the Beach Boys – Always puts me on a beach, girl-watching, after a long day of surfing (although I have never surfed a day in my life).
3) “Summer Breeze” by Seals & Crofts - The perfect song to just sit back with your favorite beverage.
4) “All Summer Long” by Kid Rock – It samples a famous riff from Warren Zevon & Lynyrd Skynyrd that equals a huge hit song.
5) “In the Summertime” by Mungo Jerry - A 1970 one-hit wonder classic.
6) “California Gurls” by Katy Perry - Watch the video.
7) “Summertime Blues” by Eddie Cochran - Perfect song to listen to when you had to work that summer job.
8) “Summer” by War – Great song to cruise to the drive-in (ask your parents).
9) “Hot Fun in the Summertime” by Sly & the Family Stone - Title says it all!
10) “Summer in the City” by Lovin’ Spoonful – Despite the heat of the day, it will be all right!
And just for good measure, my pick for the most annoying song? “Kokomo” by the Beach Boys. No further comment.
What will be the summer song of 2011? What was your favorite all time summer song? Log onto www.ourcommunityfocus.com and let me know.
Quote of the month:
The blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin' bad”
Paul’s picks for July:
July 4th David Martin’s Houseparty, Moraga Commons Park (Moraga Rd. & St. Mary’s Road),
Moraga at 7:00pm
July 7th The Katy Lawrence Band, Downtown Pleasant Hill “Concerts in the Plaza Series” at 6:00pm
July 10th Lava , Summer by the Lake Series, City Hall, Pleasant Hill at 6:00pm
July 21st Lumberyard, Downtown Pleasant Hill “Concerts in the Plaza Series” at 6:00pm
July 23rd Pleasant Hill Blues & Brews, featuring The Tommy Castro Band, Chris Cain,
The Alameda All-Stars, Jinx Jones and the King Tones, & Steve Sage, DVC R&B Revue,
Pleasant Hill Park, corner of Gregory and Cleveland, Noon– 6:00pm.
July 28th Acoustic S&M, Rocco’s Pizzaria, 2909 Ygnacio Valley Road, Walnut Creek at 8:00pm
July 29th The Billy Martini Show, The Station, 600 Ferry Street, Martinez at 9:30pm
Armando’s 707 - Marina Vista, Martinez, www.armandosmartinez.com
Back Forty Texas BBQ - 100 Coggins Drive, Pleasant Hill, www.backforty.us
Dallimonti’s - 1932 Oak Park Blvd., Pleasant Hill, www.dallimontis.com
Dan’s Bar - 1524 Civic Drive, Walnut Creek, www.dansbar.com
E.J. Phair Brewing Company - 2151 Salvio Street, Concord, www.ejphair.com
Pyramid Alehouse - 1410 Locust Street, Walnut Creek, www.pyramidbrew.com
Rocco’s Pizzeria - 2909 Ygnacio Valley Road, Walnut Creek, www.roccospizzeria.com
Tthe Station - 600 Ferry Street, Martinez, www.facebook.com/tthe station
The Roundup Saloon - 3553 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette, Phone: 284-4817
Vinnie’s Bar & Grill - 2045 Mt. Diablo Street, Concord, www.vinniesbar.com