As I started to make my playlist and ponder the ultimate final list, it made me think, what makes a great Halloween song? Does it have to always have to be about zombies and ghosts? Serial killers and politicians? Absolutely! And if it has a good beat, then even better!
So here are my top 10 selections:
1) “Monster Mash” by Bobby “Boris” Pickett. Yes, I am old and I know this song is somewhat lame, but it brings me back to my childhood and I do think it still holds its charm today.
2) “Psycho Killer” by Talking Heads. “Qu'est-ce que c'est fa fa fa fa fa…” Just a nice, upbeat creepy tune. The title says everything you want to know.
3) “I Put A Spell On You” by Screamin Jay Hawkins. Hold on to your seats, because Jay's about to take you on a ride. Timeless!
4) “Dead Man’s Party” by Oingo Boingo. “Waiting for an invitation to arrive; Goin' to a party where no one's still alive.” This would be great tune for your Halloween dance party.
5) “Thriller” by Michael Jackson. What can you say about this classic? This video changed everything!
6) “Ghostbuster” by Ray Parker, Jr. Say what you will, but I know you know every word of this one. “I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”
7) “Don’t Fear the Reaper” by Blue Oyster Cult. Isn't spooky at all until you consider the lyrics told from the point of view of some death-friendly dude trying to induce his gal to join him and not "fear the reaper."
8) “Highway to Hell” by AC/DC. Pure, straight-ahead, in-your-face rock and roll! (add Hells Bells for a nice 1-2 punch as well)
9) “Werewolves of London” by Warren Zevon. Personally, find the lyrics to this song brilliant! My favorite line? “I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.”
10) “Tubular Bells Part 1” by Mike Oldfield. This is the theme song from the movie, The Exorcist. Perfect creep vibe to this tune. Just do not serve split pea soup when listening. You’ve been warned!
And to add just one more in the “creepy” vane, “Somebody’s Watching Me” by Rockwell. The word paranoia comes to mind.
I’m sure you have your favorites, but these would be a great addition to your playlist, whether you’re having a party, or just handing out candy to ghosts and goblins.
Quote of the Month:
I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween.
Paul’s picks for October:
October 5: Caroompas Room, Pleasant Hill Art & Wine Festival, Downtown Pleasant Hill, 2:30pm.
October 5: The Big Jangle, Pleasant Hill Art & Wine Festival Downtown Pleasant Hill, 4:15pm.
October 6: Jinx Jones & The Kingtones, Pleasant Hill Art & Wine Festival Downtown Pleasant Hill, 1:00pm.
October 10: Lumberyard, The Roundup Saloon: 3553 Mt. Diablo Blvd. Lafayette, 9:00pm.
October 11: Tender Mercies, Armando’s, 707 Marina Vista, Martinez, 8:00pm.
October 27: East Bay Funk, Armando’s, 707 Marina Vista, Martinez, 4:00pm.
October 31: Sin Silver, Rocco’s Pizzeria, 2909 Ygnacio Valley Road Walnut Creek, 8:00pm.