While some may find selfies annoying, when do these photographs cross the line into poor taste?
Alabama teen Brianna Mitchell is learning the hard way after a recent trip to Auschwitz, one of the Nazi concentration camps used in World War II. While there, she snapped a smiling photo of herself and posted it on Twitter.
The image went viral and has been retweeted over 4,000 times, according to HLN. Mitchell faced a barrage of criticism, but also had many people supporting her, saying taking a selfie at a memorial is not that big of a deal.
According to the Daily Mail, Mitchell went on the trip in memory of her deceased father, who taught her about the concentration camps. She was happy that she was able to go on a trip that they had planned on taking together.
While Mitchell was initially shocked by the reaction her selfie generated, she now seems to be enjoying all of the social media attention. In subsequent interviews, she continues to defend her actions, claiming she would not do anything differently.
Two Pennsylvania police officers are being credited with rescuing a missing and injured dog in Washington County.
Neighbors told WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh that they called police Monday morning after hearing painful barking coming from a ravine.
“It sounded like he was dying. The barks kept getting weaker,” said C.C. Edwards, who called 911.
Edwards said he and other neighbors couldn’t get near the dog because of the treacherous terrain. However, two officers showed up and were determined to save 13-year-old Boo-Boo.
The officers got to Boo-Boo and quickly realized he was injured and that’s why he couldn’t move.
The officers then started the difficult task of trying to get him out of the ravine without suffering further injury.
“One of the officers was really wiped out. He was sweating and he said, ‘It’s like a sauna down there.’ He didn’t know how the dog made it,” Edwards said.
But Boo-Boo did make it and was reunited with his owner, who thought his missing dog had died.
“I just got down bawling. I was accepting this is it,” said Sean Corcoran.
Corcoran said Boo-Boo, who is deaf and blind, went missing several days ago. He’s very grateful for the officers who helped save his dog.
“He doesn’t get around real well. His hips are going. I think he stumbled and fell,” Corcoran said.
Officials said Boo-Boo had a slipped disc.
A picture of a dog standing over its injured companion has gone viral – and now the dog needs a new home.
According to WSB-TV in Atlanta, Georgia man Michael Mason was leaving church when he said he noticed a dog standing on the side of the road. As he looked closer, he said he saw the dog standing over its injured companion. Mason turned back around, snapped one picture and shared it with a friend asking for help. He posted it online and it took off.
“The look on his face. ‘Can someone help me?’ He was watching over him like a guard dog,” Mason said.
The picture made even more rounds online after "The Walking Dead" actress Kylie Szymanski posted it on her Facebook fan page.
“I never thought it would happen to me (going viral). I wasn’t thinking about it. I was thinking about the dog,” Mason said.
The dog, now named Herman, is at Fulton County Animal Services and he needs a new home. A vet was unable to save Herman’s companion.
“We are grateful someone stopped and cared enough to take a picture and share it to demonstrate the power of a dog's love. And this sweet animal didn’t leave his friend when she was injured,” said Cicley Gay with LifeLine Animal Project, a metro Atlanta shelter that works closely with Fulton County Animal Services.
“They do feel that companionship and when somebody is gone they miss them,” explained Kerry Moyers-Horton, a staff member with Fulton County Animal Services.
WSB-TV reporter Craig Lucie got to know Herman and he says he is a smart and kind Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Herman quickly figured out how to open the back fences at animal control.
He asked Mason if he would consider adopting Herman, and Mason said he would if his wife would let him.
Animal services officials said considering how friendly Herman acts around people, he must have come from someone's home. He is up for adoption, so if you are interested, contact Fulton County Animal Services.
2 Investigates uncovered new details about the smoke detectors inside a public housing unit where a fire killed a mother and her 3-year-old son in April. According to documents 2 Investigates obtained, the victim submitted a work order weeks prior asking the San Francisco Housing Authority to fix the smoke detector.
Work orders submitted for broken smoke detector
2 Investigates submitted a records request to the San Francisco Housing Authority. According to the records, victim Esther Ionae put in a work order for a broken smoke detector at 76 Brookdale Avenue on March 31, 2014 approximately two weeks before the fire. The fire killed Ionae and her son Santana Williams.
“I think not only that it could have been prevented, I think it should have been prevented and unfortunately I think it may happen again,” said Christopher Dolan, an attorney for Ionae’s family.
The work order granted permission for an electrician to enter the unit even if no one is home.
Still, according to more Housing Authority records obtained by 2 Investigates, the electrician never entered and the smoke detector was not repaired.
Turned away at the door
The San Francisco Housing Authority hired an attorney as well as a private company to investigate the fire.
According to the company’s initial review, an unidentified woman turned the electrician away at the door three times.
“He knocked on the door and he was not allowed access,” said Kevin Cholakian, an attorney for the San Francisco Housing Authority.
Cholakian says the private company, Fire Cause Analysis, discovered three dismantled smoke detectors in a drawer.
The San Francisco Fire Department would not confirm or deny that but a fire department spokesperson told 2 Investigates the smoke detectors “may have been present but not in the place they should have been.”
“Now they're trying to say that they were stuffed in a drawer but they knew back on March 31st they were not working,” said Dolan.
Final fire department report pending
The San Francisco Fire Department is still finalizing its investigative report pending the medical examiner completing the victims’ autopsies.
Tracks in the sand near the shoreline of Francis State Beach, show the spot where people tried to rescue Adam Pye after a sand tunnel collapsed over the 26-year-old San Lorenzo man Monday afternoon.
His parents and family gathered at their house in San Lorenzo Tuesday, still in shock over the loss of the young man they say had a bright smile and a bright future ahead.
"A perfect son, a perfect brother, a perfect friend...a perfect cousin," said Debra Pye, in tears, holding a photo of her son.
Pye's parents say Adam's trip to the beach with close family friends was supposed to be a well-deserved rest for their hard-working son, who had just graduated June 14th from Cal State East Bay, with a major in business communications.
His parents say the 26-year-old had been helping friends dig a tunnel about 10 feet deep, when it collapsed about 5:30p.m. Monday.
"The girls came out of their tunnel, his tunnel caved in and they turned around and said, where's Adam, where's Adam?" said Kevin Pye, Adam's father.
The sand had trapped Adam. His father says the girls tried to save him, by holding up his head which was briefly exposed, before more sand gave way.
Friends and strangers on the beach ran to help.
"There were dozens, dozens of people from the beach, men, women and children pulling sand out of this hole," said George Fry, a camper from Utah who also rushed to help dig with his hands.
"You're just grabbing sand a little bit at a time," Fry told KTVU.
First responders from the Coastside Fire Protection District arrived about four minutes after the call.
"They were just starting to get to his head when our first crews got there," said Fire Captain Jonathan Cox who was at the scene.
Cox says Adam was unconscious when paramedics managed to clear sand away from his head and open his airway. After 35 minutes of digging, crews managed to pull him out. They performed CPR but were not able to revive him.
Pye's mother says Adam had worked hard since the age of 15, when he got a job selling concessions at the Oakland Coliseum. His parents say their son had worked his way through school, putting in 12-13 hours on the night shift at the Oakland Airport UPS facility and then turning around to attend school during the day.
"That was all he ever did was just school work and finally he graduated to say Mom, finally, now I have some time, I can rest," Debra Pye told KTVU.
Fire officials say while many people think of danger from waves and water at the beach, sand is an equal threat.
"It's extremely unstable, sand is in its nature. And it obviously collapsed extremely quickly," Cox said.
Fire officials covered the holes to make sure no one falls in. They say with so many people on the beaches during this season, they hope people will realize the danger that sand can pose.